Wednesday, September 11, 2013

5, 6 , 7, 8!


       
Many people have a hobby. They either run, play chess, hike, and maybe even keep a rock       collection! I don’t know, but what I do know is that my hobby is to dance.
Dancing isn't just ballet or hip-hop. There are tons and tons of other types of dances all around      the world. My personal favorite is Hip-hop, reggaetón, bachata, cumbia, norteñas, and many others I can’t think of at the moment. I love them, actually. The way you dance them makes me feel alive, free, sexy even, and not have a care in the world. I love the type of music that goes along with it, the passion within the lyrics. All just combine and become a whole other world, a world I am proud to be a part of. I dance because there’s no greater feeling in the world than moving to a piece of music and letting the rest of the world disappear.
My mother was a dancer when she was in high school at R.L. Turner. She was even on this               newspaper I found in one of my mom’s things. My thought at first was be, “Maybe dancing is in my blood?”, because I started dancing when I was 2 years old, but as I got older my dancing got more intense. I had never taken a dance class in my life! So, when I walked into dance class in my freshman year of high school, I knew that something good was going to come out of this. During that year, two professional dancers walked into our class and taught us some moves (hip-hop to be exact), and till this day I still remember the routine. At the end of class my dance teacher and the two professionals asked me to stay behind to talk to me. I thought I was in trouble at first for some reason, but as I closed the door after everyone had left and walked towards them and saw their smiling faces, I knew that it I was good. I sat in front of them on the dance floor, looking up at them and them looking down at me, like tall skyscrapers.  One of the dancers kneels down next to me and says, “Heidy, you really impressed me today. You are a great dancer and I can see that you really love it”. I nod. “How would you like to be a  member at our dance academy?” I breathed in those words and felt it fill me up with excitement. I jumped up and screamed my head off thanking them for giving me that opportunity and telling them that I’d get back to them as I ran out the door to get to my next class.
I didn't join the academy (mom didn't let me), but I still keep that in the back of my head all the time. The way the words came out were like music to my ears. Now every time I dance, her voice is in the back of my head reminding me that I am a good dancer and that I have good potential in my dancing, that it can becoming something more than just a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment