Saturday, February 22, 2014

Work of Fiction- Part 2

1. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Total Pages: 529
Pages read so far: 529

6. This book is set up in chronological order, spanning 80 years of a stained, near- mythic Greek American family history, as 41 year-old hermaphrodite who was raised as Calliope, explaines a fateful incestuous union in a small town in the early 1920s suburbs of Detroit and a confusing love story to modern-day Berlin.

9. This novel is once of the most complex novels I have ever read. There is just so much going on that I sometimes had to re-read the chapter to understand what was going on. For exapmly, the fact that it changes scenes from Cal's life in Berlin then back to Desdemonia and Lucky in the 1920s. I for one had trouble with identifying what was being said. I liked this book, actually. It not only gave backgound information on the history like in page 71 the author embedded a story about a Princess name Si Ling-chi from China whom discovered silk and thus started the Silk trade, but it also had an interesting plot and structure. I never would've guessed the events that would occur after one scene. Like I didn't see Callie getting hit by a tractor from running away from the Object's brother whom she just kicked his ass for calling her and the Object lesbians after getting caught fingering each other. WOAH! But, man this book certainly is a thumbs up.

5."I hope you learn a lesson from this. mixing with the wrong crowd can sink you. You seem like a nice guy, Mr. Stephanides. You really do. We wish you the best of luck in the future."
This quote is the story of my life right now. I hang out with the "wrong crowd" and have had many adults that are concerned ask me and anonymously tell me "to find better friends." I've found those "better friends", and they stabbed me in the back. Here Jimmy Zizmo is the bad influence on Lefty's life. My group are bad influences on me, yet just like Jimmy, they stood next to me and helped me get back on my feet. Those better friends just left me to the side. So, yeah this quote enrages me because if Lefty never had met Jimmy, Lefty never would have even gotten to where he almost was.   

No comments:

Post a Comment