Monday, April 14, 2014

Whom then shall I fear?


We all have something we fear.

Whether it's something small like ants, spiders, flies, birds, dogs, and anything else like that. Then there are the bigger fears; heights, dying, not knowing what to do, stage fright, nightmares.

In the bad there is still some good and in the good there is still some bad.






That's the thing with us humans. We look at the bad and never see the good and we look at the good and never see the bad. But like in Thoreau's Civil Disobedience he gives out big pushes to the people and slaps them right in the face telling them, "Look at this country of ours! Do you not see how messed up it is? Quit with the same old procedure and get up and fight for justice in this injustice." Some got the message, others not so much. Thoreau is a great example of someone who sees the bad in the good and the good in the bad. Throughout his passage, Thoreau didn't want to completely shut down the government. He simply wanted to make it just and fair to all of the people. He has courage.

What is courage?

Courage is the ability to do something that frightens one.

Fear. Here is is again. Fear is within everything, but the only thing bigger than fear is courage.

In several movies I've seen there are millions of acts of courage being taken. In the Hunger Games, Katnis volunteers as tribute taking her sisters place in the sinister games when he name is drawn, Rise of the Guardians, little boy Jaime finally stands up against the boogyman saying "I believe in you but I'm not afraid of you", Divergent, Tris learns that she's divergent and puts a stop to the corrupt government when it goes out of hand. All of these acts of courage are shown in several other movies, but not acts of courage occur on the screen. Acts of courage come out of a person when they feel that something isn't right.  Yin yang.

When I was a baby, my mom was abused by my father. Big term, I know, BUT until I was 3 years old, she decided to leave. She was done with his bull and she was done with how unhappy her life was. She took me, grabbed our things and walked out, took a bus and moved in with my uncle for a while. That my friends took a lot of courage. For three years, she didn't leave afraid of him coming after her and beating her to death. Once we settled down, she pressed charges and since then we haven't heard of him, until 10 years later I got a phone call. Yin yang.

It was my turn to be the on to act with courage. Took a lot of nerve for him to call me after 10 years, but we still met up. All of us. My mother, my step-father, me, and....him. It was hard, but it was done. We met, sat, talked for what felt like an eternity in hell, and then he left. That was it. He was a bad man, but he had me in mind after all these years. Yin Yang.

I guess it was an act of courage he did as well too because he showed up too. Maybe everyone has had an act of courage and or are courageous.

Can you see the good in the bad and the bad in the good?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Heidy, what a powerful and well written argument! :D Thank you for letting me read it :) In order to improve your argument, try to embed more complex vocabulary and rhetorical devices. The concrete, specific examples seemed to serve as the zenith of your argumentation. Overall, great blog post!! :D

    ReplyDelete