Thursday, October 17, 2013

Reading In My Life

 I have never had anything against reading. In fact, so far in my life since last year, English class has been the class I have been looking forward in attending during my school hours. Since I was little, I loved math, but I don't know? Something clicked and I began to despise it. Things became harder and harder as new equations entered my world of simple math and I hated it. It was so challenging! But reading. My goodness. It was the same. All what was added was the understanding and the "reading between the lines", getting a more complex, deep thought in what I was reading. Now, when I watch movies that I had seen when I was little that come on tv with my younger siblings, I happen to see what is truly going on in the movie. It all makes sense!
 When I was little, I had only four books. Four. Me and my mother lived alone, since we left my dad and nobody wanted to take us in, so we didn't have money to go around buying toys and what not. I was four years old at the time when my uncle let us stay with him in his house. There is where my life changed. My uncle had three kids- Xochil, Victor, and Tony (all of them were older than me). They would teach me how to read since I didn't attend pre-school. They would sit me down on the couch and read to me or have me read along with them. By the time I started kindergarten, I was sable to read a little and write my name and Abc's. Kindergarten I honestly remember nothing about. First grade on the other hand I do.
 My first grade teacher's name was Miss. Jackson. In her class was were I began reading chapter books. My first chapter book I had ever read was Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy by Barbara Park. I loved that book so much, I begged my mom to buy it for me at this book fair we were having in our school library. She hesitated. So I went to my step-dad, who over the time me and my mom had been living in my uncles house, he came into our lives, ending up with my mom getting married and us moving into an apartment with him. My step-dad was the one who gave me money to go and buy the book, only when we go to the fair, the book wasn't by itself. It came in a pack of six Junie B. Jones books. Mom bought it. Only it took her 1 whole year to let me actually open the pack and read the books. I read and read and re-read the books over and over for a whole summer, since cartoons only lasted till about noon during the day.
 When my little sister joined the family, I read to her my library books and sometimes these books my dad would find and bring to me from his work. So I had about thirteen books; two short stories and eleven small chapter books. To be honest, being able to be the only child in my house that was able to read made me feel superior and intelligent. Not only in my house, but also within my cousins who were smaller. We hung out a lot and we would all play school. I'd be the teacher and I'd teach the younger ones how to read, write, do a little math and etc. My parents were always saying, "Heidy's going to be a great teacher when she grows up", having me responding with a huge crooked-teeth smile.
 Now that I am older, I read a lot of different books. Mostly because it is required like for an assignment or a project. But, whenever I am able to choose a book, I read romance or some other young adult novels. I don't get out much, so to read about a characters perspective in being wild and crazy like people say teenagers are, makes me feel as if I am there beside them, enjoying the wild life, not being left out. I've only experienced having a boyfriend once, so to read the love and the relationship of a character in a romantic novel, the descriptions of their beloveds face, the  just brings those memories back.
 I'll be in advisory, which I do read in, and I'd be crying or I'd laugh out loud at something funny said within the books. I'll be at home reading before bed and I'd read aloud to my sister whom I share a room with. She'd ask questions on what is happening and I'd
 get frustrated because I'd want to continue to find out what happens next. Recently, I haven't been able to read at home because of personal reasons. But I do read while I am on the bus rides to and from school. I do read as I am on my way to church on Thursday nights, and on weekends when I am bored and there is nothing on tv, chores are done, and the kids aren't bugging me, I read. I'll read about five to eight pages every ten minutes. My goal for this year is to end my junior year having already read 30 books; so far I've read three total books, cover to cover. Right now I am finishing up Ella Minnow Pea and starting The Great Gatsby.
 There are so many books left to explore and I have a while lot of time ahead of me to get through them all. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a sweet re-telling of your reading life. I'm sorry you've had home troubles that have kept you from reading. I hope everything is okay now. Let me know if I can help. I'm glad you've found that books can take you places you may never get to go. I love that, too.

    ReplyDelete