Monday, November 18, 2013

Genius Hour Project Progress: Nov. 15

 In the last few Fridays I have to admit I was slacking off. You know, a teenager left with a laptop ends up being a "free class". Last Friday though, I actually didn't slack off. I asked the sub if I could interview people and went on the mission of finding out whether students believe school is just a passing time or if its really a necessity. For instance, do students in high school just go to school because they have to or do they really feel like they want to go for a brighter future.
 Many students actually enjoy their four high school years. They get involved, participate, and join clubs, go all out on spirit wear, and interact with the student body. Other, well, not so much. It's a pain to go to school. and once they're in school they skip most of their classes each week. Some don't even go to school! They drop out and move on from there. But, that is what I believe is what goes on. I'm sure my belief is true, but I am going out to find what really goes on in the thinking of other students and teachers. Teachers because they are the ones interacting with the students, so they are just as important to high school as students.
 The first place I went to was the AMAT studio to speak to Mr. Wheeler, the Dean of my college CHAMPS. He wasn't available at that moment so I spoke to Mr. Wilmot, my AMAT teacher, and asked him his opinion. I had spoken to Mr. Wilmot before ( he was the one who helped me to start out this topic), but he couldn't remember what he had said before. After several minutes of thinking and trying to remember what he had said before, he told me how he thinks "high school is not all really about the material given and to see if you can remember and pass tests, but to learn how to be responsible and build yourself as a person." I also spoke with the assistant principle of CHAMPS, Mrs. Macedo. She told me that she thought school was "actual preparation that offers academic and social opportunities and a chance to explore different activities." She also said that she does believe the "students come to school just cause'", but most are interested in learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment