Monday, December 9, 2013

Article #6: "... when you're fast asleep..."

"Scientists may still debate the meaning and purpose of dreams, but we ordinary dreamers seem to have an insatiable desire to parse the who, what and why of what happens when we doze off." Now there are apps to help define the meaning of our dreams. The article now is trying to help us decide on how reliable those apps are. That's bogus. No one knows what the true meaning of dreams are! They are dreams, "a wish your heart makes", like Disney's Cinderella sang. 

 You can't go up to two different people, tell them you're dream, and expect to get the same answer. It just won't happen because the meaning of you're dream is what you want it to be. Many say, "Follow you're dreams". Why of course! Follow you're OWN because I'm pretty sure Bill and Sandy don't have the same one as yours. So same thing goes to you're own dreams. No one can tell you what they mean. 

 When I was in 8th grade, I had a dream about my best friends boyfriend and the boy I had been crushing on having a fight over me. I wanted to know badly what it meant, so I went to my best friend at that time for the meaning of this strange dream, and she came up with this whole other idea of me just wanting to end a friendship. I, to this day, still don't see the connection between my dream and her opinion of the meaning because it turns out that I just had a thing for both of the guys! 

 So I'm wondering, if there are so many apps out there apparently telling you the meaning of you're dreams, why are scientist still trying to debunk if what they say is true or not. I mean, I'm no scientist and I know for a fact that no one can tell me the meaning of my own dreams. It's common sense, yet they do it. I just don't understand. 

 But, dreams do mean something, only to your own self. Through yourself and you're desires is where you find the answer to you're dreams meanings, not some app. "So it’s worth remembering that the same dream may not get the same interpretation from different people", says psychologist Deirdre Barret. 
"Sometimes dreams are better left alone — and private."

So maybe it's time you evaluate you're own dreams and thoughts, because no one else knows you better than... you.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting idea here. I wonder what my dreams mean almost every time I have one. Your writing is quite fluid. By using the quote by the psychologist, you build your credibility, and the use of your personal anecdote is effective. 7

    ReplyDelete